BAY CITY, Mich. – When neighbors went inside Marvin Schur's house, the windows were frosted over, icicles hung from a faucet, and the 93-year-old World War II veteran lay dead on the bedroom floor in a winter jacket over four layers of clothing.He froze to death days after the electric company installed a power-limiting device because of more than $1,000 in unpaid bills. He had the money to pay his bills, but was suffering from possible dementia or exposure. The electric company never went by to explain the power-limiting device, which acts as a circuit breaker and which must be reset from outside. Once it flipped off. It stayed off and a WWII veteran slowly froze to death.
Rest In Peace
Served with Honor
Died of Neglect
If you live in an area where it is below freezing, power shortages occur and utility companies play games with your life, please check on your neighbors. If you have not seen a neighbor for a day or two, just look in on them. Bring some cider or hot cocoa or perhaps a stack of firewood.