1. Propane (LPG) tanks should be far enough away from buildings for valves to be shut off in case of a wildfire. Keep the area around the tank clear of flammable vegetation.
2. Store gasoline in an approved safety can away from buildings.
3. All combustibles, such as firewood, wooden picnic tables, boats, stacked lumber, etc. should be kept away from structures.
4. Clear roof surfaces and gutters regularly to avoid build-up of flammable materials such as leaves and other debris.
5. Remove branches from trees to a height of 15 feet or more.
6. In rural areas, clear a fuel break of at least three times the fuel length around all structures.
7. Keep tools, such as a ladder long enough to reach your roof, shovel, rake and buckets for water, nearby.
8. Place connected garden hoses at all sides of your home for emergency use.
9. Make sure your family has an emergency evacuation plan.
10. Know all emergency exits from your neighborhood.
From the Texas Forest website.